In 1852, Gloversville was a small village called Stump City.
When it became an incorporated village in 1853, the name was changed to Gloversville due to the glove trade being established.
In that year, the population was 1,318.
Gloversville was initially made up of three settlements, the Settlement, later referred to as the Mills Settlement, north of the city was the Kingsboro settlement the third was called the Settlement on the Hill.
These settlements grew inward to the four corners which became the hub of the city.