For over one hundred years, baseball has been played on the Parkhurst Field grounds. Parkhurst Field opened on July 12, 1906 as the A.,J.&G Baseball Park and home of the professional New York State League’s JAGs (Johnstown-Amsterdam-Gloversville), the Park was owned by the F.J.&G. Railroad and would become a popular stop on railroad line (now the Rail Trail) located just beyond the left field wall of the grounds. ‘JAG’ Park was designed by F.L. Comstock and built by E.A. Satterlee for $3,088 on six acres of land leased from C.W. Judson on Harrison Street, midway between Gloversville and Johnstown, NY. Sam Lucas, a Gloversville native, built the actual baseball diamond and later was asked to take charge of the NY Giant’s Polo Grounds and also built the grounds at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh in 1909. JAG’ Park once featured a grandstand which accommodated 1500 spectators and its location was convenient for MLB players and many of the world’s premier teams to play barnstorming exhibition games…. Cy-Young-1903The Boston (Red Sox) Americans played a game here en route to Detroit on July 5, 1907 with their player/manager, Hall of Fame pitcher Cy Young. On July 24, 1907, Hall of Fame great Honus […]
The Gloversville Recreation Commission shall plan, promote, conduct and supervise all Gloversville Recreation Department recreational and social programs and activities for City of Gloversville youth and adult residents.
The Gloversville Recreation Commission consists of seven voting adult members who shall be appointed by the Gloversville Common Council upon recommendation of the Mayor of Gloversville. Members serve for three year terms and must be adult residents of the City of Gloversville.
Anyone interested in becoming a member of the board should contact the Mayor's office and complete an Application for Board Appointment.
In 1852, Gloversville was a small village called Stump City.
When it became an incorporated village in 1853, the name was changed to Gloversville due to the glove trade being established.
In that year, the population was 1,318.
Gloversville was initially made up of three settlements, the Settlement, later referred to as the Mills Settlement, north of the city was the Kingsboro settlement the third was called the Settlement on the Hill.
These settlements grew inward to the four corners which became the hub of the city.
DESIRED QUALITIES OF BOARD MEMBERS
Commission members should exhibit:
Knowledge of recreational and social activities available in the community
Ability to plan, coordinate and organize recreational and social activities in the community
Willingness to attend board meetings on a regular basis and to serve on a committee as needed
Availability and desire to help out with Gloversville Recreation Department activities and events.
With the coming of the FJ&G railroad in 1870, Gloversville's glove industry boomed, and it became known as
the glove Capitol of the World, later the industry adopted the slogan "Gloversville Gloves America", and later
the word world was substituted.
Volunteers from the public are welcome to attend meetings, participate on subcommittees and assist in events at any time. Volunteers wishing to take on more independent responsibilities should complete a Volunteer Application .
Many prominent citizens have called Gloversville home. Among them are Lucius Littauer, who became a Congressman, and through his generosity had the city's first hospital built. A bronze statue of Littauer stands today on the grounds of the former high school at the corner of N. Main Street and Prospect Avenue.