The Gloversville Recreation Commission shall plan, promote, conduct and supervise all Gloversville Recreation Department recreational and social programs and activities for City of Gloversville youth and adult residents.
The Gloversville Recreation Commission consists of seven voting adult members who shall be appointed by the Gloversville Common Council upon recommendation of the Mayor of Gloversville. Members serve for three year terms and must be adult residents of the City of Gloversville.
Anyone interested in becoming a member of the board should contact the Mayor's office and complete an Application for Board Appointment.
In 1852, Gloversville was a small village called Stump City.
When it became an incorporated village in 1853, the name was changed to Gloversville due to the glove trade being established.
In that year, the population was 1,318.
Gloversville was initially made up of three settlements, the Settlement, later referred to as the Mills Settlement, north of the city was the Kingsboro settlement the third was called the Settlement on the Hill.
These settlements grew inward to the four corners which became the hub of the city.