With the coming of the FJ&G railroad in 1870, Gloversville's glove industry boomed, and it became known as
the glove Capitol of the World, later the industry adopted the slogan "Gloversville Gloves America", and later
the word world was substituted.
Volunteers from the public are welcome to attend meetings, participate on subcommittees and assist in events at any time. Volunteers wishing to take on more independent responsibilities should complete a Volunteer Application .
Many prominent citizens have called Gloversville home. Among them are Lucius Littauer, who became a Congressman, and through his generosity had the city's first hospital built. A bronze statue of Littauer stands today on the grounds of the former high school at the corner of N. Main Street and Prospect Avenue.