For over one hundred years,
baseball has been played on the Parkhurst Field grounds.
Parkhurst Field opened on July 12, 1906 as the A.,J.&G Baseball Park and home of the professional New York State League’s JAGs (Johnstown-Amsterdam-Gloversville), the Park was owned by the F.J.&G. Railroad and would become a popular stop on railroad line (now the Rail Trail) located just beyond the left field wall of the grounds.
‘JAG’ Park was designed by F.L. Comstock and built by E.A. Satterlee for $3,088 on six acres of land leased from C.W. Judson on Harrison Street, midway between Gloversville and Johnstown, NY. Sam Lucas, a Gloversville native, built the actual baseball diamond and later was asked to take charge of the NY Giant’s Polo Grounds and also built the grounds at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh in 1909.
JAG’ Park once featured a grandstand which accommodated 1500 spectators and its location was convenient for MLB players and many of the world’s premier teams to play barnstorming exhibition games….
Cy-Young-1903The Boston (Red Sox) Americans played a game here en route to Detroit on July 5, 1907 with their player/manager, Hall of Fame pitcher Cy Young.
On July 24, 1907, Hall of Fame great Honus Wagner and the Pittsburgh (Pirates) Nationals played on these grounds.
Joe Birmingham, a player on the JAG’s 1906 team, went on to play for the Cleveland (Indians) Naps and eventually managed “Shoeless” Joe Jackson as part of that team.
Countless minor league players, including “Moonlight” Graham, the ballplayer/doctor immortalized in the film Field of Dreams, played here as part of the Scranton Miners in 1906 and 1907 while pursuing their life-long dream of making it to the Major Leagues.
1913-08-07 The Park became home to the Danforth Baseball Association semi-pro team over the next decade and continued to host exhibition games featuring premier teams, including the Cuban Giants, Brooklyn Royal Giants and Philadelphia Colored Giants (Negro League Teams) and the all woman’s team, the New York Bloomer Girls and more.
On October 13, 1913, two days after winning the World Series as a starting pitcher with the Philadelphia Athletics, Hall of Fame pitcher Chief Bender played on this field.
In 1918, the F.J.&G railroad company gave up their lease on the property, and the Parkhurst family purchased the baseball grounds.
On August 14, 1923, when local baseball legend George Burns (N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia Athletics and Cincinnati Reds) came to town with the Reds to play a game against the local Elks team, he brought future Hall of Fame great Edd Roush with him.
For the next thirty years, Parkhurst Field continued to host significant games until the Parkhurst family graciously allowed the newly-formed Gloversville Little League to begin playing on these grounds in 1955. After exhaustive research, we can also now definitively state that Parkhurst Field is one of the most historic baseball grounds in America.
- It is older than Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. Cy Young’s playing career pre-dates Fenway Park, yet he played on our grounds.
- Other than Wrigley and possibly Rickwood Field, in Birmingham, Parkhurst Field is one of the few remaining grounds in existence on which Honus Wagner played.
- We believe it is the only field left in America that the immortalized “Moonlight” Doc Graham played on….making Parkhurst Field the original Field of Dreams.