This word struck fear into the hearts of Gloversville citizens on May 21, 1877. The fire was on North Main Street!
The end, the fire consumed 22 mostly wooden buildings, and after, residents realized that with no waterworks, and nothing more than a few buckets in the hands of some volunteers, adequate fire equipment, men and available water were all that was needed to avert another disaster such as this one.
A month later, the first hose company and hook and ladder brigade was formed and named the A.J. Kasson Hose Company.