Until 1904, all members of the fire department were volunteers, but on April 1st,the Common council authorized that personnel be paid and the department was then comprised of 14 paid men and 15 call men with the exempt firemen held as reserves.
The department became motorized in 1912 when a car was purchased for the Chief.
This vehicle carried chemicals and a roll of hose.
Early fire trucks at first had no roofs so that when approaching a fire, the men could look up to see the building and assess what action needed to be taken to knock the fire down.
Today the Gloversville Fire Department is equipped with the latest technology and equipment which includes a thermal imager to locate victims in a smoke filled building, air packs, and a safety trailer which teaches fire safety and procedures to children.