In 1852, Gloversville was a small village called Stump City.
When it became an incorporated village in 1853, the name was changed to Gloversville due to the glove trade being established.
In that year, the population was 1,318.
Gloversville was initially made up of three settlements, the Settlement, later referred to as the Mills Settlement, north of the city was the Kingsboro settlement the third was called the Settlement on the Hill.
These settlements grew inward to the four corners which became the hub of the city.
DESIRED QUALITIES OF BOARD MEMBERS
Commission members should exhibit:
Knowledge of recreational and social activities available in the community
Ability to plan, coordinate and organize recreational and social activities in the community
Willingness to attend board meetings on a regular basis and to serve on a committee as needed
Availability and desire to help out with Gloversville Recreation Department activities and events.
With the coming of the FJ&G railroad in 1870, Gloversville's glove industry boomed, and it became known as
the glove Capitol of the World, later the industry adopted the slogan "Gloversville Gloves America", and later
the word world was substituted.
Volunteers from the public are welcome to attend meetings, participate on subcommittees and assist in events at any time. Volunteers wishing to take on more independent responsibilities should complete a Volunteer Application .
Many prominent citizens have called Gloversville home. Among them are Lucius Littauer, who became a Congressman, and through his generosity had the city's first hospital built. A bronze statue of Littauer stands today on the grounds of the former high school at the corner of N. Main Street and Prospect Avenue.