Department - City Clerk


Monday - Friday 8:00 am ~ 4:00 pm

 (518) 773-4542                       or                            (518) 773-4545
                                  Clerk: Susan Semione                                Deputy: Cindy Ostrander
                             email                      email

The City Clerk's office is a licensing bureau. Applications may be processed in other parts of the building, but virtually all licenses are issued by the City Clerk's office.

Click Here to view the City's Charter and Codes

DOG LICENSES: The City Clerk's Office acts as a licensing agent for the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets in the issuance of dog licenses. Dogs must be licensed at the age of 4-months. Proof of rabies vaccination must be shown. The fees are $10.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $20.00 for non-spayed or non-neutered dogs.

BUILDINGS: The City Clerk's Office acts as a licensing agent for the city's Division of Buildings, issuing building, equipment, zoning and demolition permits.

CONSERVATION LICENSES: The City Clerk's Office acts as a licensing agent for the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, issuing: sportsman, big game, hunting, fishing, bow, muzzle, turkey, trapping and junior hunting licenses, among others.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION LAW: (FOIL) The City Clerk's Office acts as the foil official.  The request is filed through the Clerk's Office and forwarded to the Department best able to furnish the information requested.        

Foil Request Form.   Police Department Foil Form

FIRE PREVENTION BUREAU PERMITS: The City Clerk's Office acts as a licensing agent for the city's Fire Prevention Bureau, issuing permits for the installation of natural gas, oil, LPG, pellet and wood stove heating equipment as well as for the operation of multiple-unit dwellings, places of assembly, hazardous materials storage and storage tank installation.

GENEALOGICAL SEARCH: Working on your family history? The City Clerk's office can help with vital statistics, such as birth, death and marriage records. Eligibility must be shown.

RACING & WAGERING: The City Clerk's Office acts as an agent for the New York State Racing & Wagering Board, issuing licenses for bingo, bell jar and games of chance operations.

SANITATION: Need to get rid of items too large for your garbage men? The City Clerk's Office acts as an agent for the City's Department of Public Works, too.  

TAXICABS: Taxicabs are registered and inspected through the City Clerk's office as are taxicab business licenses.

HEALTH DEPARTMENT: The City's Health Department shares office space with the City Clerk. The Health Department records and issues birth and death certificates as well as executes voluntary paternities. A birth or death certificate may be requested by mail. A birth record will only be released to the individual (over the age of 18) on record or a parent. Death certificates will only be released to the spouse or living children (an attorney can always request any record on file). The cost for each is $10.00 payable to the Gloversville Health Department.

Birth Certificate Application                   

Death Certificate Application

To obtain these by mail you will need to supply the following:

1. A photocopy of a picture I.D.

2. A check or money order payable to the Gloversville Health Department ($10.00/each copy).

3. A self-addressed stamped envelope (#10 legal size). 

4. Your name given at birth, the date you were born, parent's names.

5. Telephone number with area code.

All of this can be sent to

Gloversville Health Department
3 Frontage Road
Gloversville, NY 12078

phone  (518) 773-4545

 fax      (518 )773-2593


The bride/groom/spouse must both come to the Clerk's office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM Monday through Friday. Our office is located in City Hall at 3 Frontage Road.

Documents required are photo ID's and a certified copy of birth certificate's. There is a questionnaire to be completed.
The license will be issued in approximately 15 minutes. The fee is $40, payable by cash, check or money order. 

Once the marriage license is issued, there is a twenty-four hour waiting period before the ceremony can occur and the license is valid for sixty days from the date obtained.  Active Military have six months to get married.

There is no blood test required. 

If you've been married before, you'll have to show a copy of each divorce decree for each previous marriage. The decree must be stamped by the clerk of the county where it was filed. Typically, the date stamp would say FILED AND ENTERED, showing the date it was filed and, usually, a facsimile of the County Clerk's signature. If your copy doesn't have that, you may have to go to, write to or otherwise obtain a certified copy from the County Clerk where the decree had been filed and entered. The final step in any divorce is filing the decree with the County Clerk.

If the previous marriage ended by death of your spouse, you will have to show a certified copy of the death certificate.

We have a list of public officials who can perform marriage ceremonies.

A marriage license is valid statewide. The only consideration as to where you obtain your marriage license is to remember that wherever you purchase it, that is where it will be filed should you need a copy in years to come for travel, retirement or death benefits. 

Powered by WebDirect
Web Content Management